FRITZ!Box 4020 Serwis - Baza wiedzy
Setting up the FRITZ!Box for use with a cable connection
The FRITZ!Box is already configured for use with a cable modem in the factory settings. You only have to connect the FRITZ!Box to the cable modem, and then you can access the Internet using the FRITZ!Box without having to configure any settings first. Since the FRITZ!Box controls the Internet access, all FRITZ!Box functions (such as the firewall, parental controls) are also available without restriction in this operating mode.
If you changed the settings of the FRITZ!Box, configure the FRITZ!Box for use with a cable modem as described in this guide.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
1 Connecting a cable modem
- Connect the cable modem to the first multimedia socket or the socket that the cable technician used for the original installation. Only use the coaxial cable (without an extension) provided by the cable technician to connect it.
2 Configuring the cable modem
Instead of cable modems, some cable providers supply their customers with wireless cable routers with integrated cable modems. These devices can make their own wireless network available and have several LAN ports for computers, game consoles, and other devices.
The following step is only necessary if you are using a cable router, but are not using its wireless network:
- If possible, enable the so-called bridge mode for the wireless cable router in your cable provider's customer center or in the cable router's user interface.
Note:In bridge mode the cable router acts as a simple cable modem, so you will not experience problems when accessing the FRITZ!Box user interface from the Internet, for example. You may not be able to use hotspot services offered by your cable provider when bridge mode is enabled.
3 Configuring the FRITZ!Box
- If the FRITZ!Box is connected to the cable modem, clear the connection between the cable modem and the FRITZ!Box, then restart the cable modem.
Note:You can restart the cable modem by briefly unplugging it. It may take several minutes for the cable modem to restart.
Configuring Internet access
- Open the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Enter the FRITZ!Box password printed on the sticker on the underside of the device and click "Log In".
- If the FRITZ!Box is set to factory settings:
- Select the desired user interface language and click "Next".
- Select your country from the drop-down list and click "Next". If your country is not included in the list, select "Other country".
- Click "Internet" and then "Account Information".
- Select "Cable modem or Internet router" from the drop-down list "Internet connection via".
- Enter the speeds of your Internet connection in the "Downstream" and "Upstream" fields.
Enter 50000 for a downstream of 50 Mbit/s; enter 2000 for an upstream of 2 Mbit/s.
- Use a network cable to connect the cable modem to the "WAN" port on the FRITZ!Box and click "Apply" to save the settings.
The FRITZ!Box now establishes its Internet connection over the cable modem. Configuration is completed when the message "The procedure was concluded successfully." is displayed.