Parental controls incorrectly block internet access
The FRITZ!Box blocks a computer, smartphone, or another device from accessing the internet, although the device should have been able to access the internet at the time the error occurred. The following messages are displayed:
- In a web browser on the device: "Internet access is blocked."
- In the FRITZ!Box user interface: "Parental controls blocked. FRITZ!Box has prevented an attempt to evade parental controls. During this process it was necessary to block internet access."
1 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Box.
2 Configuring the device to automatically obtain IP settings
If the device does not obtain its IP settings from the FRITZ!Box via DHCP, the FRITZ!Box assumes that an attempt was made to bypass parental controls when the IP address changes and then completely blocks internet access for the device.
- Configure the device to automatically obtain IP settings via DHCP.
3 Device is not directly connected to the FRITZ!Box
If the device is connected to the FRITZ!Box by means of an additional router (for example an additional FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater, a wireless router or wireless repeater in Universal Repeater Mode), the device's communication with the FRITZ!Box is altered. This causes it to assume that an attempt to deceive it is being made, which causes it to then completely block internet access for this device.
Note:If you use an additional router to connect the device, the other router does not transmit the device's MAC address to the FRITZ!Box. Since the FRITZ!Box uses a combination of IP address and MAC address to identify each device, it interprets requests from the same MAC address in combination with different IP addresses as an attempt to bypass parental controls.
One of the following measures can resolve this problem:
Installing the latest FRITZ!OS
Starting with FRITZ!OS 6, FRITZ!Boxes, FRITZ!Repeaters, and FRITZ!Powerline adapters transmit information about devices connected to them to the FRITZ!Box that establishes the internet connection. This allows you to use the parental controls function with devices that are connected to the FRITZ!Box by means of an additional FRITZ!product.
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on all of your FRITZ!products. You can update the FRITZ!OS of your FRITZ!Box as described in this guide.
Connecting the device directly to the FRITZ!Box
- Either use a network cable or Wi-Fi to connect the device directly to the FRITZ!Box.
AVM Section Navigation