FRITZ!Box 6490 Serwis - Baza wiedzy
Configuring different DNS servers in the FRITZ!Box
DNS servers in the Internet convert the alphanumeric names of Internet servers to numeric IP addresses (for example avm.de in 220.127.116.11). For the name resolution of web addresses, the FRITZ!Box uses the DNS servers assigned to it by your Internet provider when it connects to the Internet.
If you would like to use different DNS servers in your home network, you can configure them in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
Requirements / Restrictions
- Some cable providers do not support this function. The option for configuring a different DNS server is therefore not displayed if you have a FRITZ!Box from one of these providers.
- The FRITZ!Box always uses your cable provider's DNS servers for Internet telephony, push service mails, and several other functions.
Important:Some of the settings described here are only displayed if the advanced view is enabled in the user interface.
1 Configuring the FRITZ!Box
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Type of Connection" or "Account Information" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click on the "DNS Server" tab.
- If you would like to configure other DNSv4 servers:
- Enable the option "Use other DNSv4 servers".
- Enter the IP address of the DNSv4 server in the "Preferred DNSv4 server" field.
ATTENTION!If you enter the incorrect IP address, you will no longer have IPv4 Internet access with the FRITZ!Box.
- Enter the IP address of a second DNSv4 server in the "Alternative DNSv4 server" field so that you can call up web pages even if the preferred DNSv4 server is unavailable.
- If you want to configure other DNSv6 servers:
Important:You can only configure DNSv6 servers in the FRITZ!Box if your cable provider enabled this function. If you cannot configure any yet, then your provider will enable this function as soon as it supports IPv6 Internet connections.
- Enable the option "Use other DNSv6 servers".
- Enter the IP address of the DNSv6 server in the "Preferred DNSv6 server" field.
ATTENTION!If you enter the incorrect IP address, you will no longer have IPv6 Internet access with the FRITZ!Box.
- Enter the IP address of a second DNSv6 server in the "Alternative DNSv6 server" field so that you can call up web pages even if the preferred DNSv6 server is unavailable.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.