Setting up the FRITZ!Box as a Mesh Repeater
You want to use a FRITZ!Box as a repeater via LAN or Wi-Fi? ✓ Here's how to set up your FRITZ!Box as a Mesh Repeater.
You can set up your FRITZ!Box for use as a Mesh Repeater and use a network cable to integrate it into the Mesh of your FRITZ!Box with internet access (Mesh Master) to increase the range of your home network easily and efficiently.
As a Mesh Repeater, the FRITZ!Box automatically adopts all of the necessary settings from the Mesh Master (for example Wi-Fi access information, guest access, schedule) and creates an additional Wi-Fi network that enables your devices to connect to the home network. In addition, the telephone numbers entered in the Mesh Master can be activated for the Mesh Repeater and used by telephone devices configured in it.
As soon as the Mesh Repeater is integrated into the Mesh, it is marked with the Mesh symbol in the user interface of the Mesh Master:
Fig.: Mesh overview of the Mesh Master with FRITZ!Box as a Mesh Repeater
Requirements / Restrictions
- FRITZ!OS 7 or later is installed on the Mesh Master.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Setting up the FRITZ!Box as a Mesh Repeater
Connecting the FRITZ!Box
- Use Wi-Fi or a network cable to connect a computer to the FRITZ!Box that you want to set up as the Mesh Repeater.
- If the computer is already connected to the Mesh Master, clear that connection.
Configuring the FRITZ!Box
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click on "Mesh" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Mesh Settings" tab.
- Enable the option "FRITZ!Box as a Mesh Repeater".
- Enable the option "This FRITZ!Box is a network device (IP client) in the home network [...]".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
- Use a network cable to connect a LAN port on the FRITZ!Box either directly to a LAN port on the Mesh Master, or by means of a hub or switch.
2 Adding the Mesh Repeater to the Mesh by button
- Push and hold down the connect button on the Mesh Repeater (see table) until its "WLAN" LED flashes. Other LEDs may also flash.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connect button on the Mesh Master until its confirmation LED (see table) lights up. Other LEDs may also light up.
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530 AX, 7530, 7520, 6890, 6850, 6660, 5530 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 6591, 6590 Connect / WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430, 5491, 5490 WLAN WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6490, 6430 WLAN WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7560, 7362 SL WLAN WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7583, 7582, 7581, 7580 WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6820, 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS WLAN
- The process is complete as soon as the Mesh Master marks the Mesh Repeater with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh overview.
3 Setting up telephony in the Mesh
If you also want to use the telephone numbers configured in the Mesh Master with telephones connected to the Mesh Repeater:
4 Transmitting cable TV content (DVB-C) to the Mesh
If you want to transmit your cable provider's cable TV content to the home network as an IP stream, configure television reception in the FRITZ!Box:
- Configure the FRITZ!Box Cable for television reception via DVB-C.
AVM Section Navigation