Cannot access the internet via the FRITZ!Box
You don't have internet, even though internet access is set up in the FRITZ!Box? ✔ Here's what to do.
Although the FRITZ!Box is configured for DSL internet access, some or all of the devices connected to the FRITZ!Box cannot access the internet.
One of the following messages may be displayed in the "Network and Sharing Center" of the respective Windows computers:
- "Unidentified Network"
- "Access: Local only"
- "Access type: No internet access"
Important:If you are using your FRITZ!Box with a DSL, cable, or fiber optic modem, proceed as described in the guide Cannot access the internet via a different modem.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem is solved.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Checking the event log of the FRITZ!Box
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Event Log" in the "System" menu.
- Select "Internet Connection" from the drop-down list.
- Check whether one of the following error messages is displayed and follow the instructions in the corresponding guide:
2 Enabling the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server
In the factory settings, the FRITZ!Box automatically assigns the correct IP settings to all devices via DHCP. If you disabled the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server, re-enable it:
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Network" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- In the section "WAN setting", click "Additional Settings" to display all of the settings.
- Click the "IPv4 Settings" button.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
3 Configuring the device to automatically obtain IP settings
To ensure that the device always uses the correct IP settings, make sure that it automatically obtains its IP settings from the FRITZ!Box (this is the default setting for most devices):
- Configure the device to automatically obtain IP settings via DHCP.
4 Configuring a DNS server in the FRITZ!Box
In the factory settings, the FRITZ!Box uses the DNS server of the internet service provider for the name resolution of web addresses. If you set up other DNS servers in the FRITZ!Box, re-enable the DNS server of the internet service provider:
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Account Information" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click on the "DNS Server" tab.
- Enable the option "Use DNSv4 servers assigned by the internet service provider (recommended)".
- If the section "DNSv6 Servers" is displayed, enable the option "Use DNSv6 servers assigned by the internet service provider (recommended)".
- If the option "Encrypted name resolution in the internet (DNS over TLS)" is enabled, enable the option "Allow fallback to non-encrypted name resolution in the internet".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings and on the FRITZ!Box, confirm that the procedure may be executed if asked to do so.
5 Installing the latest software for network adapters
- Install the latest driver for the computer's network adapter or the latest software for the respective device.
Note:Often the Windows Update does not offer all of the latest device drivers. Therefore, use the drivers from the manufacturer's website (for example Intel, Broadcom, Realtek).
6 Configuring the computer's firewall
The following step is only necessary if an additional firewall is installed on the computer:
- Configure the firewall on the computer to allow connections from the computer to the FRITZ!Box. Refer to the manufacturer of the firewall for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.
AVM Section Navigation