Connecting FRITZ!Repeater to a router from another manufacturer over LAN
Connect your FRITZ!Repeater to your router via LAN to easily and efficiently add an additional wireless access point to your home network. This way you will even have ideal Wi-Fi reception and high-speed connections to the internet and home network outside the Wi-Fi range of your router.
If you use the same wireless settings in the FRITZ!Repeater and the router, your wireless devices automatically connect with the Wi-Fi network with the strongest signal (wireless roaming).
Fig.: Connection scenario for LAN bridge mode
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Repeater.
1 Loading the FRITZ!Repeater's factory settings
In order to perform the following steps, the FRITZ!Repeater must be set to factory settings:
- Plug the FRITZ!Repeater in.
- Wait about 1 minute until the FRITZ!Repeater starts and the "Power" and "WLAN" LEDs remain lit or the LEDs of the signal strength indicator flash.
- Push and hold down the "WPS" button for about 15 seconds until all of the LEDs flash at the same time.
Fig.: Loading the FRITZ!Repeater's factory settings
- The "Power" and "WLAN" LEDs remains lit as soon as the factory settings have finished loading.
2 Connecting a wireless device with the FRITZ!Repeater
- Plug the FRITZ!Repeater into an electrical outlet and wait about 1 minute until the FRITZ!Repeater has started and the "Power" and "WLAN" LEDs remain lit.
- Search for Wi-Fi networks in the vicinity with a wireless device (for example a notebook, smartphone).
- Select the Wi-Fi network "FRITZ!WLAN Repeater [...]".
- Enter 00000000 (8 zeros) for the network key (password).
3 Configuring the FRITZ!Repeater as a LAN bridge
- Open the user interface of the FRITZ!Repeater.
- Set a password to access the user interface, then click "OK" and "Next".
- Enable the option "LAN bridge" and click "Next".
- Select which IP settings the FRITZ!Repeater should use and click "Next".
- Enter the wireless settings for the FRITZ!Repeater and click "Next". If you enter your router's Wi-Fi network name and network key, your wireless devices automatically connect with the Wi-Fi network with the strongest signal.
- Click "Finish" to save the settings.
4 Connecting the FRITZ!Repeater
- Use a network cable to connect the FRITZ!Repeater to a LAN port on the router. If you cannot directly connect the devices with a cable, you can also bridge the distance to the router with a powerline connection (for example with FRITZ!Powerline).
Now the FRITZ!Repeater is configured as a LAN bridge and is available as an additional wireless access point. The FRITZ!Repeater's signal strength LEDs indicate the quality of the wireless connection of the first device to establish a connection to the FRITZ!Repeater's Wi-Fi network.
AVM Section Navigation