- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 4040
- FRITZ!Box 4020
- FRITZ!Box 3490
- FRITZ!Box 3390
- FRITZ!Box 3272
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick N v2
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 860
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 430 MU-MIMO
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 430
- FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 450E
- FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 310
- FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 1750E
- FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 1160
- FRITZ!Repeater 600
Wi-Fi range is too low
The range of the Wi-Fi connection between the FRITZ!WLAN Stick and the wireless router (for example a FRITZ!Box) is low. Even at a short distance from the wireless router, web pages load slowly, files take a long time to download, and video streams are not played correctly, for example.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem is solved.
1 Updating FRITZ!OS and Wi-Fi software
Updates contain improvements, bug fixes, and new functions. Therefore, install the latest FRITZ!OS or software version on all of the devices:
Installing the latest software for the wireless router
- Install the latest software for your wireless router according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you are using a FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater, proceed as described in the guide Updating FRITZ!OS.
Installing the latest driver for the FRITZ!WLAN Stick
- Download the latest driver for your FRITZ!WLAN Stick from our FTP server https://ftp.avm.de/archive/cardware/fritzwlanusb.stick/.
- Double-click the file "avm_fritz!wlan_usb_stick [...].exe" and follow the instructions.
2 Removing USB 3.0 devices
- For testing purposes, remove all USB 3.0 devices from the USB ports on the wireless router and the computer to which the FRITZ!WLAN Stick is connected.
- If the problem no longer occurs, a USB device was affecting the Wi-Fi connection and you must reduce the interference caused by the USB device.
3 Optimizing the FRITZ!WLAN Stick's Wi-Fi settings
The following step is only necessary if you are using the FRITZ!WLAN control software:
- Double-click the FRITZ!WLAN symbol in the notification area of the Windows taskbar (Systray).
- Click "Cancel" in the "Find and Select WLAN Devices" window.
- Right-click the FRITZ!WLAN Stick symbol.
- Enable the option "Expert Mode" in the "WLAN Device Properties" window.
- Change the transmitter power to "100".
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
4 Installing the latest chipset drivers for your computer
- On the computer, install the latest chipset drivers for the mainboard. You can find the latest drivers on the mainboard or chipset manufacturer's website.
Note:The chipset is a part of the mainboard that computer components are attached or connected to.
5 Finding the ideal location for the wireless router
- If possible, place the wireless router in a central location.
- Do not place the wireless router directly in the corner of a room.
- Position the wireless router so that it is as unobstructed as possible, i.e. not directly in back of or under an obstacle such as pieces of furniture or a heater.
- Place the wireless router as high in the room as possible, for example on a shelf.
- Place the wireless router so that there are as few obstacles as possible between it and other wireless devices. Especially metallic objects or objects containing water, for example radiators, refrigerators, or even houseplants, significantly reduce the quality of the wireless signal.
- Place the wireless router away from other radio transmitters, for example microwaves, wireless speakers, or Bluetooth devices.
Now the FRITZ!WLAN Stick is ideally configured and you will achieve the greatest possible Wi-Fi range between it and the wireless router. If the measures given in this guide do not sufficiently improve the connection, the wireless router or Wi-Fi environment is causing the issue and cannot be further influenced by the FRITZ!WLAN Stick.
Note:You can use a FRITZ!Repeater to increase the range and stability of the Wi-Fi network quickly and easily.
AVM Section Navigation